Fashion Illustrated: Connie Lim



The fashion designer and illustrator, Connie Lim applies her inspiration from aged buildings and her love of Pugh to her feminine images and pieces. With a collection of drawings in the White Stripes colour code, she places glamorous girls into playing card themes, brimming with elegance and an eerie gothic-tinge in her experimention with various Manga styles. Lim's animated fashion sketches appear hauntingly striking, adding an edge to her depictions of Alexander McQueen's A/W 2009 collections.

Dazed Digital: Where are you based?
Connie Lim: I am based in Los Angeles, California where I lived most of my life.

DD: With whom you would like to collaborate?

Connie Lim: I would love to collaborate with Gareth Pugh, I think our dark sides can come up with quite a force. I love that he is very experimental with many different mediums and has an endless amount of imagination. That is usually where the excitement starts.

DD: Where do you see yourself in the future?

Connie Lim: I see myself as a fashion illustrator / designer having my own label or brand. I came this far with the idea of seeing my illustrations coming to life and will continue with this single notion and see where it takes me. I think the future for now is uncertain but that makes it all the more exciting.

WHAT'S...
...your work all about?
My work is my relief, my freedom of creative thought, basically, the unseen part of myself. On paper, it comes down to dark lustrous women who are confident and dangerous. I love bold women who are not shy with dark massive make up and unimaginable high heels. With just this notion, I created a world of my own through my series of fashion playing cards. It's a world I would like to share with others and hope that they would enjoy them as much as I do.

...the most inspiring thing you have seen?
The city of London is probably the most inspiring thing that I have experienced so far. Everything was the opposite of my daily life in LA. Aged buildings, gloomy weather, and massive amounts of unique people roaming around all fascinated me. I fell madly in love.

...the one piece of work you wish you'd created?
It would be Gareth Pugh's wig coat. Pure genius!

...i
s your favourite piece of clothing?
My shiny black American Apparel leggings. It is my constant companion and I can actually sleep with them on.

(dazeddigital.com)

Being one of those persons who is pretty much limited to drawing smiley faces and stick people, I'm in awe of those among us who have a talent such as this. In my opinion, a Fashion Illustrator has one of the most creative and enviable jobs in the industry. I ran across this piece on Connie Lim and had to feature it.......her artistic creations are beyond exceptional, as they are so stark and real that they almost leap from the page. Hats off to Connie and her amazing artistry!

Archives