Designing Woman: Irina Shabayeva








ON HEMPHILL: Shoes, $890, Barbara Bui; dress & hat, Irina Shabayeva.

ON SHABAYEVA: Top, $96, Kain; leggings, $265, Helmut Lang; shoes, $1095, Barbara Bui; scarf, Irina Shabayeva.

photo credit: Perry Hagopian

"I always want things to look luxe, so my biggest challenge was stretching the $9000 we'd been given to make it seem like I'd spent $20,000." -Irinaphoto credit: Perry Hagopian

Top, $96, Kain; leggings, $265, Helmut Lang; scarf, Irina Shabayeva.photo credit: Perry Hagopian

"The workroom was always tense, but then Kalyn would come in all smiles, and I was like, 'I want to live in your world!' She gave me a sense of relief and hope." -Irina

ON HEMPHILL: Top, skirt & boots, Irina Shabayeva. ON SHABAYEVA: Top, $96, Kain; leggings, $265, Helmut Lang; necklace, $175, 3.1 Phillip Lim; bracelet, $48, Hayden-Harnett; ring, Shabayeva's own.photo credit: Perry Hagopian

"I research everything on YouTube, like how to crochet a flower or knit a certain stitch. For my collection, I YouTube'd how to make hand-blocked felt hats, then made each one." -Irina

Shoes, $900, Krisvanassche; wrap, top, pants, hat & handbag, Irina Shabayeva.photo credit: Perry Hagopian

"I wanted to send a message that it's OK to be a woman and be fragile, but it's also OK to have a layer of armor, because you need it." -Irina (speaking on the leather jacket).

(Marie Claire magazine)

While I don't watch Project Runway, I'm usually interested in seeing who won. I received my issue of Marie Claire yesterday and featured among it's pages is an article on Project Runway winner Irina Shabyeva......I was immediately smitten with her unique designs. I love her fashion aesthetic and find her very inspirational. It's apparent from her designs that she creates pieces on her own terms and is not afraid express her creativity in the way that she feels. I love all of her pieces, especially the dresses and the leather jacket. My hope is that we will hear and see much more from her.

Archives